The use of water
All HEP’s hydro power plants have obtained a concession to use water power for electricity generation. The concession includes concession conditions, i.e. water right permits for the use of water.
All thermal plants (thermal power plants and combined heat and power plants) have obtained concessions for abstraction of water used in the generation procedure for the generation of electricity and heat energy as well as like cooling water.
HEP’s hydro power plants, thermal power plants and combined heat and power plants report to Hrvatske vode
about the amounts of abstracted water in form of monthly or annual reports.
Concession conditions and conditions in water right permits are prescribed with an aim of the protection of water.
Hydro power plants
Protection of water
In line with the conditions from water right permits, i.e. with concession conditions HEP’s hydro power plants conduct the following activities:
Thermal power plants
- Monthly examination of water quality on its accumulations through accredited laboratories.
- Periodic examination of the quality of underground and overhead water in hydro accumulation systems (flumes and sewers, accumulations, drainage channels, coastal areas, old river beds) through accredited laboratories and scientific institutions.
- Making and carrying out provisions from operational plans of intervention measures in case of sudden water pollution.
- Ensuring constant flow in amounts prescribed for each hydro power plant separately with an aim of preserving the ecosystem of the watercourse
- Ensuring the carrying out of the provisions about accumulations prescribed by Hrvatske vode
Thermal power plants have obtained environmental permits
, whose constituents are water right conditions for discharging waste water. For thermal power plants which are still in the process of obtaining environmental permits, water right permits for discharging waste water are valid. In line with the decisions on environmental permits, i.e. water right permits and conditions from concessions, the following activities are carried out in thermal power plants:
- Monthly examinations of the quality of waste water (composite samples) on control measuring shafts through accredited laboratories
- Keeping records of the amounts of discharged waste water
- Measuring of temperature and the amount of discharged cooling water
- Measuring the flow of waste water
- Control and examination of watertightness of water structures for drainage and purification of waste water
- Drawing up and carrying out operational plans for intervention measures in case of sudden water pollution
Once a year HEP reports about sources, types, amount, quality and ways of discharging waste water as well as about instruments for purification of waste water via electronic base Register of Environmental Pollution managed by the Croatian Environmental Agency.
HEP’s hydro power plants, thermal power plants and combined thermal and heat power plants, in line with legal regulations, deliver to Hrvatske vode
information about monthly and annual amount of discharged waste water and about conducted examinations of waste water.
Removal of deposited waste
With an aim of preserving its own facilities, HEP’s hydro power plants have been removing and managing mixed waste, so-called driftwood which stops during tides on input instruments and grids of the facility. Annually, between 2,500 and 4,000 tonnes of waste stop in the grids. Removing this waste implies significant financial means.
Hydro power plants, on whose grids the waste stops, are not the producers of that waste, but Hrvatska elektroprivreda, although it does not have a legal obligation, fully finances the extraction from water courses and the management of deposited waste.